I complained a week ago about my display driver going berserk.
I blamed Windows Update, since it happened within hours of a pile of updates being installed.
I upgraded to the latest beta NVidia drivers on Monday
and it helped for a while, but by Wednesday,
it was almost as bad again as it had been last Friday.
It was infuriating and I was both entertaining and alarming my neighbors
with my cursing.
Today was the last day of a very busy sprint for me
and at last I had the time to dig into it.
I opened up the case and took a look at both video cards—I have two dual-head cards connected to three monitors—and one of them had partially blown capacitors like those in the picture.
I removed the bad card and did some graphics-intensive things for an hour,
and the other card behaved flawlessly.
Oddly, until someone mentioned that it might be a hardware problem yesterday,
it didn't occur to me, even though a video card blew in this machine last year.
I came in one morning to find a black monitor, and when I pulled out that card,
I found that some of the capacitors had popped right open with stuffing protruding.
On general principles, I had been meaning to repave this machine for a while.
I've had it since December 2007
and it was still running the original installation of Vista.
I booted from a DVD, reformatted my C: drive, and installed Windows 7 x64 RC1.
I finally have a 64-bit OS as my primary Windows desktop,
so I'll actually be using the Win64 build of Vim that I maintain.
My first impressions of Windows 7 on this machine are very favorable,
but there's plenty more that I need to install
before the machine has everything that I need.