I came across an interesting post on Medium earlier tonight, How to talk to people you disagree with.
It can be hard to have a fruitful conversation with people you’re at odds with, especially online.
Jeremy Caney has 10 suggestions:
- Leave the insults at the door
- Understand what’s driving their views
- Speak to their values
- Know what you’re talking about
- Acknowledge when you’re wrong
- Stay focused on the issue at hand
- Be prepared to take heat from your team
- Don’t expect capitulation
- Know when to walk away
- Be mindful of the onlookers